Shakshuka is a popular North African and Middle Eastern dish and probably one of my favorites! It is super flavorful, filling, and easy to make a meal that you can have for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. Plus it's affordable and perfect for feeding larger crowds. Now, I finally perfected my version for a low FODMAP Shakshuka. And I'm very happy to share it here, so you can all try it!
Low FODMAP Shakshuka Recipe
This Low FODMAP Shakshuka is perfectly spiced, flavorful, easy to digest, filling, and incredibly delicious!
It makes a great breakfast or brunch, especially if you are making it for more people. But you can also customize and make this recipe only for one person.
How to make this Low FODMAP Shakshuka
It is an incredibly easy recipe to make! There are just 3 things that you will need to do:
1. Chop the veggies
2.Cook the veggies in the tomato sauce
3.Add the eggs and cook for a little longer, until the eggs are cooked to your preference. And that's it! the Shakshuka is done!
How to make this low FODMAP Shakshuka dairy-free?
To make it dairy-free simply omit the feta cheese or replace it with a vegan one.
*If you are using store-bought garlic-infused olive oil, make sure there are no floating bits of garlic in it. You can also make Garlic Infused olive oil at home by frying garlic cloves in the olive oil until they are golden and fragrant. Then remove them from the oil and continue cooking your meal.
*Use only the green parts of the Scallions (spring onions), as only they are low FODMAP.
*As a general rule always read the labels of the ingredients that you use as there can be sneaky FODMAPs in any product. The best place to find all the info on which foods are high in FODMAPs is Monash Unversity FODMAP Diet App
Low FODMAP Shakshuka
- 2 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- 1 bell pepper seeded and diced
- 3 spring onions (only the green parts) chopped
- 1 can (400g) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper (according to taste)
- 4 large eggs
- 40 g feta cheese (dairy-free if needed)
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley chopped
- Heat the garlic infused olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and green parts of the spring onions and cook for 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add spices and cook an additional minute
- Pour the can of tomatoes into the pan and break down the tomatoes using a large spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir them all in and reduce your heat to a simmer (no lid) for around 10-15 minutes or until the mixture has thickened up.
- Crumble in half of the feta cheese and stir again. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Use your large spoon to make small wells in the sauce and crack the eggs into each well. Cover the pan and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Remove from the heat. Finish with a sprinkling of fresh parsley and some crumbled feta cheese.
- Enjoy 🙂
Leave a Comment