If you are a waffle fan and you like to try a healthier, savory version, then you’ve got to make these Gluten-free Savory Veggie Waffles
Nothing beats waffles right? I mean they are the best! I think I can eat waffles every day. But I think that probably would not be the healthiest choice unless of course it is made of veggies. I know, I know, you are probably thinking “what? Waffles made of veggies? How is that possible?”
Well, my friends, it is possible and they taste freaking delicious! I thought long and hard of creating a healthier version of my favorite food. And well the result was these crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, packed with flavor and veggies savory waffles.
I adapted this recipe from my mom’s veggie patties, again thanks, mom! You are the queen of quick and healthy recipes.
Gluten-Free Savory Veggie Waffles Recipe
These savory waffles are super flavorful with a perfect texture (crispy on the outsides and soft and cheesy on the inside). Because they are packed with veggies, they can be great to make for kids if you want to snick some veggies in their meals. I’ve been obsessed with them lately and I’ve made as breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They go great as a side with many meals and are great as a mid-day snack as well. I love having them with a fried egg and smashed avo with mayo.
How to make these Gluten-Free Savory Veggie Waffles?
It is super easy! Just grate all the veggies, squeeze out all the water. Then add to them the grated cheddar cheese, the eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and spices of choice. Mix it well. Grease the waffle iron. And bake!
For the detailed step-by-step instruction scroll at the end of this page.
What flour to use to make these Gluten-Free Savory Veggie Waffles?
I like to use my universal homemade gluten-free flour blend. Which is a mix of the following flours :
3. Sweet Rice Flour (Glutinous Rice aka Sticky Rice)
4. Tapioca Flour (tapioca starch is the same as tapioca flour)
5. Xanthan Gum
If you can’t make that one, you can try with any gluten-free flour mix (just make sure it contains xanthan gum because that helps in binding the dough). The final result using different flour mix might vary slightly, depending on what flours your mix contains.
To find the recipe for my gluten-free flour mix click, HERE.
How to make these Waffles completely dairy-free?
It’s easy just omit the cheddar cheese. You can also try using vegan cheese. However I’ve never tried it that way, so I can’t say how they will turn out. But If you try it, share it in the comments.
*Make Ahead Tip:
These veggie waffles can be made a day or a night before. Just cook them according to the recipe instruction. Place them separately on a baking rack to cool down. Then wrap them in an aluminum foil or put them in a covered box and place them in the fridge. For best quality use them within 1 to 2 days.
I haven’t tried freezing them yet. However, when I try I will update my results here.
To reheat them - Oven method: Just place them separately on a baking rack or dish with a baking paper underneath, and bake them on 180C for 8 min.
Toaster method: Reheat in a toaster oven until heated throughout.
*Low FODMAP Tip:
*To make sure that your flour mix is FODMAP friendly I recommend that you make your own gluten-free flour mix, I always make this one. Or always read the ingredients of the store-bought gluten-free flour mixes. Make sure your mix doesn’t contain soy flour, chickpea/besan/gram/garbanzo bean flour, lentil flour, coconut flour, amaranth flour, or lupin flour.
If you are celiac or highly sensitive to gluten, buy certified gluten-free baking powder. Baking powder is naturally gluten-free, however, depending on the manufacturing place and process it could be cross-contaminated.
Gluten Free Savory Veggie Waffles
- 1 courgette
- 1 carrot (medium size)
- 2 potatoes (medium size)
- ½ bell pepper
- handful of chives or/ 3 spring onions(only the green parts)
- 2 large eggs
- 100 gr grated lactose-free cheddar cheese
- 7 or 8 tablespoon Gluten Free Flour
(depends on how much liquid you have in the mix, more liquid means you will have to add more flour.)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- Italian herbs mix/ black pepper (optional)
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- First grate the courgette, and try to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Then continue with grating the rest of the veggies
- When that is done, again, try to squeeze out as much water of all the veggies as you can
- Chop the chives or the spring onion and add it to the mix
- Grate the cheddar cheese and add the eggs.
- Mix it all well, then add the gluten free flour and the baking powder.
- Combine it well together.(if you see that your mix is watery from the veggies add more flour)
- Season the mix with salt, black pepper and herbs.
- Grease your waffle iron with butter or oil.
- Cook the waffles until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve them while they are warm.
- Optional additions: Fried Egg, mashed Avo with Mayo
Leave a Comment