Low FODMAP falafel. So, So, So YUM!
The Low FODMAP falafel are:
- Easy to digest
- Crispy on the outside
- Tender on the inside
- Super Simple
- Wholesome and Healthy
- Gluten Free
- Low FODMAP
- Nut Free
Everyone that’s familiar with LOW FODMAP diet has probably been warned about eating Falafel. But I have good news for you! Falafel doesn’t have to be completely gone from your diet! With only a few simple modifications of the traditional recipe, you can still enjoy this Middle Eastern dish. This version of the traditional Falafel recipe is not only LOW FODMAP and easier to digest but also much healthier and better for your body. According to Monash Univerity, 1/4 cup (42grams) of canned chickpeas can easily be tolerated on a LOW FODMAP diet. Canned chickpeas contain less FODMAPs than sprouted since the Oligos-GOS and fructans leach out of the bean and into the brine. A good tip here is to rinse the canned chickpeas well before using. LOW FODMAP falafel is a great option if you are a vegan following a LOW FODMAP diet, as chickpeas are high in protein. In addition, they are completely gluten and nut free suitable for people that have some of these intolerances. While for some of you Falafel might have always been a part of your life and diet, my story is a little bit different. It was only a few months ago that I decided to make my first falafel. Yes, that was the first time that I tried falafel!
How much have I been missing in my life!!
And at the moment falafels are on the list of my favorite foods.
I’m not really sure why it took me 23 years to try them, it probably has something to do with chickpeas not being very popular in my family. Nevertheless, not cool!
One hot and boring day this summer I decided to blend some chickpeas with all the veggies I had at home and see what I’ll get. I didn’t follow any specific recipe for falafel, instead, I was just adding anything that came to my mind. And surprisingly I got these amazing, very tasty veggie falafel. Everyone that tried these falafels was shocked to find out that the recipe is so easy and quick and most importantly uses only 8, simple, easily accessible and budget-friendly ingredients.
All the different veggies go perfectly well with the chickpeas and make the falafel richer and more flavorful.
LOW FODMAP Falafel recipe
LOW FODMAP Falafel
- 150 gr canned chickpeas rinsed and dried
- 2 Potatoes (cut in small cubes)
- 2 carrots (cut in small cubes)
- handful of chives
- handful of coriander
- 3 Tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- salt and pepper (according to taste)
- Add all the veggies together with the parsley oil and a pinch of salt and pepper to a food processor and mix to combine.
- Add the chickpeas and continue to mix. Stop once everything is combined but yet it is still chunky, (you don't want to get a smooth consistency).
- Add the cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add one or two tablespoons GF or Oat flour, depends on the consistency you are aiming to get.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Scoop a full tablespoon and form it into a disc, place the disc on a baking tray <g class covered with a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30min on 180C, flip them half point in order to cook evenly.
2. Buy chickpeas canned in water or brine (he oligosaccharides will leach into the liquid, this will reduce the FODMAP content). Always rinse the chickpeas before cooking.