A grilled cheese sandwich is one of my ultimate comfort foods. There is nothing better than warm crunchy bread, infused with the sweetness of the butter and filled with melted cheese. On grey September mornings, this is my favorite breakfast! I did a few changes to the original recipe to make it tummy-friendly and healthier and I got this Low FODMAP Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Spinach. It turned out to be more delicious than I would have expected it!
Low FODMAP Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Spinach Recipe.
This Sandwich is super cheesy, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, healthier than the original one and so delicious! Waking up to this breakfast has made the grey September mornings much more bearable.
How to make this Low FODMAP Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Spinach.
It literally takes 10min to make this sandwich. It is so easy to make and requires only 5 simple ingredients. There are only 2 things to prepare, the spinach and the bread. Then assemble all together and it's done!
what bread to use to make this Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
For this Grilled Cheese Sandwich, I used a gluten-free wholesome white loaf bread from Schar. This bread is certified to be low FODMAP under the Monash University.
Schär is one of the biggest gluten-free brands in Europe, now they also have a line of products that are certified to be low FODMAP too.
You can also use different gluten-free bread.
*If you are buying a gluten-free bread that is not certified to be low FODMAP, make sure to check the label, as there can be hidden FODMAPs.
*As a general rule always read the labels of the ingredients that you use as there can be sneaky FODMAP’s in any product. To learn which foods are high in FODMAP’s I’d strongly recommend downloading Monash Unversity FODMAP Diet App
Low FODMAP Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Spinach
- 6 slices gluten-free bread *see which bread to use above in the article
- 250 g spinach
- 100 g lactose-free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 300 g lactose-free cheese (cheddar or gouda)
To Spinach Cream Filling
- Place the spinach in a pan with olive oil and sauté for a few minutes, until the spinach starts to soften. Then add the cream cheese and cook for a minute or 2, until the cream cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and black pepper (optional)
To make the Sandwiches
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Once the skillet is hot add 2 slices of bread, buttered side down. On each slice spread some of the shredded cheese, the spinach cream filling, some more shredded cheese and top with the other slice of bread (buttered side up).
- With a spatula gently press on the sandwiches during frying. When the bottom side of the sandwich is browned, flip the sandwich on the other side and fry until that other side is toasted and browned too and the cheese is melted. (for about 2 to 3minutes).
- Repeat with the rest of the slices.
- Serve the sandwiches while they are warm.
- And don't forget to enjoy! 🙂
Leave a Comment