Recently I took the challenge to create a low fodmap and vegan version of my favorite pasta sauce. Yes! I'm talking about the one and only bolognese sauce! I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I'm not the biggest meat-eater either. So I was very excited to make this recipe! And this Low FODMAP Vegan Bolognese is one of the best things I've tasted so far!
Low FODMAP Vegan Bolognese Recipe
This bolognese sauce is super flavorful, comforting, satisfying, veggie-packed, healthy, simple to make and so delicious! Even if you are not a vegan or vegetarian, this sauce is a must-try!
How to make this Low FODMAP Vegan Bolognese?
This sauce is very simple and easy to make. It requires 10 simple ingredients and 30min to make.
Start by cooking the carrots with the green parts from the spring onions over medium heat then continue by adding the rest of the ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 15min. And voilà the sauce is done!
To find the exact ingredients and step-by-step instructions, scroll at the end of this page.
*According to Monah University only the green parts of the spring onion are low FODMAP.
*According to Monash University the low FODMAP serving size of canned lentils is 46g. This recipe uses 80g canned lentils but serves 2 portions. Canned legumes/pulses have lower FODMAP content because the water-soluble Oligos-GOS and fructans leach out of the bean. Just make sure to rinse them well before using them.
*As a general rule always read the labels of the ingredients that you use as there can be sneaky FODMAP’s in any product. To educate yourself on which foods are high in FODMAP’s I’d strongly recommend downloading Monash Unversity FODMAP Diet App
Low FODMAP Vegan Bolognese
- 3 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- 2 medium carrots ( cut in very small cubes)
- 4 spring onions, sliced (only the green parts) *see low FODMAP TIPS above in the aricle
- 1 Tbsp balsamic viniger
- 2 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 3 fresh tomatoes (chopped in small cubes)
- 200 ml tomato passata (1 cup)
- 80 g canned lentils (rinsed & drained) *see low FODMAP TIPS above in the article
- 50 ml red wine ( you can substitute with water, but the tatse won't be as rich) (¼ cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or adjust according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or according to taste) if the tomatoes that you are using are more sour you might need to add a little bit more sugar.
- 400 g pasta of choice ( I used gluten free spaghetti)
- Add the garlic-infused olive oil to a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Once warmed, add the carrots and the green parts of the spring onions to cook for about 8min.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, and stir to combine. Continue by adding the chopped fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato passata. Stir to combine. Then add the red wine, season with salt, pepper and Italian herbs mix according to taste and add sugar if needed.
- Add the lentils and let the sauce simmer for 10 to 15min. You can add a bit of water to thin the sauce out, if necessary.
- You can serve it as it is or with a pasta of choice. To keep it vegan, sprinkle nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan on top.