I'm introducing to you my easy and EXTRA fluffy Gluten-Free American Pancakes. They require only 7 simple ingredients and 5 minutes of preparation time! These pancakes make hands down the best easy breakfast or brunch recipe.
Gluten-Free American Pancakes Recipe
These pancakes are buttery, soft, fluffy, super simple and easy to make, FODMAP friendly, and just so good!
They are very delicious to just have them on their own, but you can make them even better by adding some of your favorite toppings.
Gluten-free American Pancake Topping ideas:
These are some of my favourite toppings:
- Maple Syrup & Butter - simple but just so good!
- Maple Syrup & Bacon
- Raspberries with Melted White Chocolate
- Blueberries or Strawberries with Melted Dark Chocolate
- Peanut Butter, Banana, and Maple Syrup
- Cheese & Maple Syrup ( I know that this is probably not everyone's cup of tea, but it is personally my favorite!)
- Nutella with Banana and Roasted Hazelnuts
What Ingredients you will need to make these Gluten-Free American Pancakes?
- Gluten-Free Flour
- Sugar (or maple syrup)
- Baking Powder
- Butter ( You can also use Vegan Butter)
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Lactose-Free (or Dairy-Free) Milk
How to make these Gluten-Free American Pancakes?
They are incredibly easy to make! There are ONLY 2 steps that you will need to do:
STEP 1 - MAKE THE PANCAKE BATTER
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Next, add the butter to a separate mixing bowl and microwave for 20 seconds or so until just melted. Add the vanilla, eggs, and milk to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently fold through. The mixture should be nice and thick.
STEP 2 - FRY THE PANCAKES
Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over low-medium heat and wipe over with a little butter to lightly grease the pan. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread out gently into a round shape with the back of your ladle or measuring cup. When the underside is golden and bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip with a spatula and cook until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
How to store Gluten-Free American Pancakes.
I'm sure you will eat these pancakes as soon as they are fried! But if you have any leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge, once cooled. To warm up, simply pop them in the oven at 170C for 5-10 minutes until warm, or microwave for 2 minutes until hot.
what flour to use to make them?
I like to use my universal homemade gluten-free flour blend. Which is a mix of the following flours :
3. Sweet Rice Flour (Glutinous Rice aka Sticky Rice)
4. Tapioca Flour (tapioca starch is the same as tapioca flour)
5. Xanthan Gum
If you can’t make that one, you can try with any gluten-free flour mix (just make sure it contains xanthan gum because that helps in binding the dough). The final result using different flour mix might vary slightly, depending on what flours your mix contains.
To find the recipe for my gluten-free flour mix click, HERE.
* fodmap tip:
*To make sure that your flour mix is fodmap friendly I recommend that you make your own gluten-free flour mix, I always make this one. Or always read the ingredients of the store-bought gluten-free flour mixes. Make sure your mix doesn’t contain soy flour, chickpea/besan/gram/garbanzo bean flour, lentil flour, coconut flour, amaranth flour, or lupin flour.
*As a general rule always read the labels of the ingredients that you use as there can be sneaky FODMAP’s in any product. To educate yourself on which foods are high in FODMAP’s I’d strongly recommend downloading Monash Unversity FODMAP Diet App
If you are celiac or highly sensitive to gluten, buy certified gluten-free baking powder. Baking powder is naturally gluten-free, however, depending on the manufacturing place and process there can be cross-contamination.
Gluten-Free American Pancakes
- 210 g (1½ cups) Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 40 g (4 Tbsp) sugar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g (¼ cup) butter (or vegan for dairy-free version) (plus extra for cooking)
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) lactose-free milk (or dairy free)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar and baking powder. Next, add the butter to a separate mixing bowl and microwave for 20 seconds or so until just melted. Add the vanilla, eggs and milk to the butter mixture and stir to combine
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently fold through. The mixture should be nice and thick.
- Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over low-medium heat and wipe over with a little butter to lightly grease pan. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread out gently into a round shape with the back of your ladle or measuring cup.
- When the underside is golden and bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip with a spatula and cook until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Leave a Comment