I made my favorite Christmas cookies in the form of cupcakes! There is no Christmas without gingerbread men cookies, and now when I tried these gluten-free gingerbread cupcakes, there won't be a Christmas without them. They are so festive and tasty, I can't get enough of them. Plus they are super fun to make! Yey, to this perfect Christmas cupcakes!
Gluten-free Gingerbread Cupcakes Recipe
These cupcakes are tender and soft, perfectly sweetened, spiced and super delicious. The orange cream cheese frosting is so silky, flavorful and goes so well with the cupcakes.
How to make these Gluten-free Gingerbread Cupcakes Recipe?
They are super simple and fun to make! It takes about 1h to make them. The frosting is also one of the simplest frostings to make.
To read the step-by-step instructions scroll at the end of this page.
what flour to use to make these cupcakes?
I like to use my universal homemade gluten-free flour blend. Which is a mix of the following flours :
3. Sweet Rice Flour (Glutinous Rice aka Sticky Rice)
4. Tapioca Flour (tapioca starch is the same as tapioca flour)
5. Xanthan Gum
If you can’t make that one, you can try with any gluten-free flour mix (just make sure it contains xanthan gum because that helps in binding the dough). The final result using different flour mix might vary slightly, depending on what flours your mix contains.
To find the recipe for my gluten-free flour mix click, HERE.
* fodmap tip:
*To make sure that your flour mix is fodmap friendly I recommend that you make your own gluten-free flour mix, I always make this one. Or always read the ingredients of the store-bought gluten-free flour mixes. Make sure your mix doesn’t contain soy flour, chickpea/besan/gram/garbanzo bean flour, lentil flour, coconut flour, amaranth flour, or lupin flour.
*Molasses syrup is low FODMAP in 5g per serving. For these cupcakes, I use 40gr and this recipe makes 12 cupcakes. That’s about 3gr molasses syrup per cupcake.
*As a general rule always read the labels of the ingredients that you use as there can be sneaky FODMAP’s in any product. To educate yourself of which foods are high in FODMAP’s I’d strongly recommend downloading Monash Unversity FODMAP Diet App
If you are celiac or highly sensitive to gluten, buy certified gluten-free baking soda. Baking soda is naturally gluten-free, however, depending on the manufacturing place and process it could be cross-contaminated.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcakes
- 120 g unsalted butter softened to room temperature (½ cup)
- 80 g brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 egg room temperature
- 150 ml full-fat lactose-free milk (⅔ cup)
- 40 g Molasses Syrup ( 2 Tablespoons ) *check FODMAP tips above
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 180 g gluten-free flour ( 1 and ⅔ cups)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
For the orange cream cheese frosting
- 110 g lactose-free cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 60 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 100 g powdered sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- gluten-free gingerbread men cookies (optional)
- orange zest (optional)
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the egg until combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Beat in the lactose-free milk, molasses, and vanilla on medium speed.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, together until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ of the way full, no more. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until completely smooth, about 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and the orange zest. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add in the powdered sugar. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled start decorating the cupcakes.
- If you wanna decorate them with gingerbread men cookies, check this recipe for low FODMAP gingerbread men cookies.
- Unfrosted cupcakes remain fresh covered tightly at room temperature for 2 days. Store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Leave a Comment