Creamy Tortellini Soup. This Creamy Tortellini Soup is done in 30min, requires only 11 ingredients, and is so simple to make!
I have never been the biggest fan of soups, I've always found them a bit boring. But this Creamy Tortellini Soup is not just any soup and is far from boring!
Creamy Tortellini Soup Recipe
This soup is super creamy, loaded with tortellini, sausage, and kale, super flavourful and so delicious. Plus it is low FODMAP, gluten-free and tummy-friendly
How to make this Creamy Tortellini Soup?
This soup is cooked entirely in 1 pot and requires only 30min to make.
To find the exact amount of the ingredients and step-by-step instructions, scroll to the end of this page.
what flour to use to make it?
The flour in this recipe is used to thicken the soup. However, for this recipe, you will need to use a gum-free gluten-free flour blend. If you wanna make your own for this recipe mix: (70g white rice flour, 20g potato starch, and 10 tapioca flour/starch.)
How to make this soup dairy-free?
To make this soup dairy-free substitute the heavy cream for a plant-based alternative.
*To make sure that your flour mix is fodmap friendly I recommend that you make your own gluten-free flour mix, I always make this one. Or always read the ingredients of the store-bought gluten-free flour mixes. Make sure your mix doesn’t contain soy flour, chickpea/besan/gram/garbanzo bean flour, lentil flour, coconut flour, amaranth flour, or lupin flour.
*If you are using store-bought garlic-infused olive oil, make sure there are no floating bits of garlic in it. You can also make Garlic Infused olive oil at home by frying garlic cloves in the olive oil until they are golden and fragrant. Then remove them from the oil and continue cooking your meal.
*Choose a stock that is gluten-free and does not contain onion, garlic, or any other high FODMAPs.
* Only the green part from the leek is low FODMAP.
* Italian seasoning is a mix of different herbs and is low FODMAP. However, some store-bought ones may contain garlic powder. If you want to make your own seasoning at home simply mix equal amounts of dried oregano, dried marjoram, dried thyme, dried basil, dried rosemary & dried sage.
*All the ingredients used in this recipe are FODMAP friendly. However, as a general rule always read the labels of the ingredients that you use as there can be sneaky FODMAP’s in any product. To educate yourself on which foods are high in FODMAP’s I’d strongly recommend downloading Monash Unversity FODMAP Diet.
Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- 500 g pork sausege
- 1 leek (only the green parts) diced
- 1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
- ½ bunch kale (stems removed and leaves chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning *(see FODMAP tips in the article above)
- 1 can tomato paste (170 g)
- 120 ml dry white wine ½ cup
- 2 tablespoon gum free gluten-free flour * read "what kind of flour to use" in the article above
- 950 ml low fodmap chicken stock* 4 cups *(see FODMAP tips in the article above)
- 250 g gluten-free tortellini
- 80 ml lactose free heavy cream (⅓ cup)
- Heat garlic infused olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
- When sausage is mostly browned, add green parts the leek and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the italian seasoning , and tomato paste; sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Add wine and let it cook out for a few minutes. Stir the flour into the sausage and cook for 1 minute. It’ll be sticky and dry. Gradually add in the chicken broth, stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream, then bring it to a low simmer. Add the tortellini and kale. Cook just until tortellini is al dente, per package directions. Serve with fresh parsley and Parmesan.
- Enjoy 🙂