low fodmap ✓ | gluten-free ✓ | nut-free✓ | soy-free ✓ | vegetarian ✓ | egg-free ✓
There are many things that I can live without, but pasta isn’t one of them. Sometimes there is nothing better than a plate of your favorite pasta, am I right? It’s like a food hug!???? This Low FODMAP Macaroni and Cheese certainly feels like that! It’s the good old classic comfort food, that never disappoints!
Low FODMAP Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
The best Low FODMAP Macaroni and Cheese recipe ever! It’s super creamy, cheesy, flavorful, comforting, satisfying, very easy to make and so delicious! It makes a perfect dinner or lunch for busy days as it’s so simple and quick to make!
How to make this Low FODMAP Macaroni and Cheese?
It’s definitely one of the easiest recipes. It requires only 9 simple ingredients and 40min to make! There are only 2 things you will need to do: boil the past and make the creamy cheesy sauce! And voilà your macaroni and cheese are done!
what flour to use to make it?
I like to use my universal homemade gluten-free flour blend. Which is a mix of the following flours :
3. Sweet Rice Flour (Glutinous Rice aka Sticky Rice)
4. Tapioca Flour (tapioca starch is the same as tapioca flour)
5. Xanthan Gum
If you can’t make that one, you can try with any gluten-free flour mix (just make sure it contains xanthan gum because that helps in binding the dough). The final result using different flour mix might vary slightly, depending on what flours your mix contains.
To find the recipe for my gluten-free flour mix click, HERE.
* fodmap tip:
*To make sure that your flour mix is fodmap friendly I recommend that you make your own gluten-free flour mix, I always make this one. Or always read the ingredients of the store-bought gluten-free flour mixes. Make sure your mix doesn’t contain soy flour, chickpea/besan/gram/garbanzo bean flour, lentil flour, coconut flour, amaranth flour, or lupin flour.
*As a general rule always read the labels of the ingredients that you use as there can be sneaky FODMAP’s in any product. To educate yourself on which foods are high in FODMAP’s I’d strongly recommend downloading Monash Unversity FODMAP Diet App
Low FODMAP Macaroni and Cheese
- 250 g gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 55 g butter (1/4 cup)
- 30 g gluten-free flour (1/4 cup)
- 400 ml lactose-free milk (1 2/3 cups)
- 40 g Gruyere Cheese
- 40 g shredded Cheddar Cheese
- salt & pepper according to taste
For the topping
- 150 g gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 100 g grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- 20 g butter
- Preheat the oevn to 180°C/350°F
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes. Once cooked, drain them.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth, about 5 minutes. Slowly pour milk into the butter-flour mixture while continuously stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Add half of the Cheddar cheese and the Gruyere cheese to the milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted about 4 minutes.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into a baking dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and then the remaining mac and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the gluten-free breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, melted butter, and paprika. Sprinkle over the top and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.